I have a lot of observations about all the hearings and events of the past two weeks, and plan on blogging them (after I get a little rest). But for now, here is a quick wrap-up of last night's BIA scoping session which was a really great experience. Thanks to all of you who came out and either spoke or supported those who did.
· A mega casino on the site in Middleboro will harm the environment, in numerous, well documented ways.
· We love our home.
· We love Middleboro.
· The Tribe hasn’t kept its promises.
· The process was flawed and rushed.
· Where the hell are the REAL plans so we can assess REAL impacts.
· We care about wildlife.
· The Deal with the Tribe doesn’t leave any money for Middleboro.
· A casino will hurt surrounding communities in numerous ways.
· My home has lost it's value because it's near the casino project.
· We care about social issues.
· Property near the casino could be taken by eminent domain.
· Real Indians don’t build casinos.
· A casino could mean more underage gambling.
· Water in South Eastern Mass is not an unlimited resource.
· The site in Middleboro would be bad for any development.
· Traffic, crime and social problems will increase with a mega casino.
· There is no Federal land in Massachusetts, so please go back home and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
· The Mashpee Wampanoags home is in Mashpee. This is OUR home.
· Anti-casino people are racists, terrorists and liars.
· Colleges are worse than casinos.
· Any job is a good job.
· The Mashpee Wampanoags are coming home.
· Indians care more about the land than white people so if they want to build a casino it must be OK.
· If you don’t like it here, move.
· A casino will be good – because we say so!
· People who live in subdivisions shouldn’t throw stones at casinos.
· Mitigation money or enough therapy can solve anything.
· Casinos are good for the real estate market.
· A mega casino will help surrounding communities.
· What environment?
· Indians good, original settlers bad.
· We want our casino.
· Our home stinks and a casino would make it so much better.
· What impacts, there’s no impacts.
· I’ve been to places with casinos – they’re nice.
· Crown Colony Plaza in Kingston is the same thing as a casino.
· If a casino comes, the rivers will run with chocolate, dollar bills will fall from the sky like manna from heaven, the sun will never set, the streets will be paved with gold, and peace and harmony and all sorts of wonderfulness will follow us like soft little baby lambs all the days of our lives.
Get those letters in people! Get them there before April 9th and send them 'Receipt Requested' or 'Certified'!